Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday Update

Today was a good and bad day.

Rory started eating today, starting at 5ml of breast milk every 3 hours. She took 3 feeds and did well and on the 4th feed she threw up to the point of choking on her own vomit. I felt so bad for her but she seemed much more comfortable afterwards. We will let her determine her feeding schedule through the night and re-evaluate in the morning.

Also she really struggled with knowing how to feed...she would not suck so we had to let the milk drip into her mouth and then she would swallow it. Each feeding was such a small amount that we just measured out 5ml with a syringe and then put in into a bottle nipple (no bottle attached). Please pray that she can figure out the technique soon so she can move forward with her feedings...we really don't want to have to use a feeding tube!

Another positive thing that happened today is that she graduated up to a "big girl bed" :-)...there are a few pictures below.

If you could also please pray for the other families here at the NICU I would appreciate it. Today was a bit of a rough day up here...a baby died today in the pod next to ours. Also we are now sharing a pod with another gastroschisis baby that has been here for over 3 months. Thank you again for your prayers, we need them and appreciate them!!!















3 comments:

  1. O my goodness, she looks so teeny in that big girl bed! Rory looks so sweet.
    I see she is off the blue lights... so I guess her biliruben(?) is OK now/for now?

    Love & prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rory is VERY tiny! she is even smaller than my baby dolls. I am so glad that Rory is feeding, and I bet you're feeling better knowing you CAN feed her. I will continue to pray for everyone and I think it's sweet that there is another gastroschisis baby sharing a pod with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness she is so stinking beautiful. What a sweetie! Love her new bed. We will PRAY for you all. I am sure you are exhausted. You guys are amazing! Praying that she is comfortable and that feedings can resume soon and go well! It is so hard when something that is supposed to happen multiple times a day is such a battle/ concern. With God you can do it! I am sure you are such an amazing testimony to the other families you are meeting. Most parents are probably doing the NICU thing for the first time. Blessings to you all and baby Rory!

    ReplyDelete